My mother owns a small business and working for her and helping with it, along with running a blog, sometimes gets hard to stay focused and productive. Here are five things I do to stay focused and productive.
1. Create a To-Do List. Every day, before you start your work day, create a to-do list with a set of things you need to complete. Even if you have a million things to do, keep it reasonable. Don’t try to tackle too many tasks in one day. You’ll feel satisfied when you see everything checked off at the end of the day.
2. Shower and Get Ready. If it’s an admin kind of day for me, I like to shower first. It helps to wake me up and jump start my day. Sometimes I like to put on a little make up and dress in comfortable clothes to lounge around in. Showering helps wake me up, and putting on make up helps me feel awake; when I look in a mirror, my face looks wide awake and it helps me feel the same way I look.
3. Prioritize and Just Do It. Now that you have a To-Do list, get the most important, critical tasks done first. Don’t put them further down the list, get them done. If you’ve been thinking about getting a small business off the ground, check out Kabbage.com. They help entrepreneurs achieve goals by providing small business loans. Don’t just stare at the idea or task, do it!
4. Headphones On. I put on some headphones and tune into Spotify, and listen to Deep Focus. If it’s too noisy or too quiet, my mind tends to wonder and I get distracted. To keep focused, I listen to this playlist that engages my brain enough to stay focused, but not too much were all I want to do is sing along to the lyrics and not pay attention to the tasks on hand.
5. Take a Break! Don’t get caught up in all the work and tasks you’ve set for yourself. Take a break. Go to a near by cafe, pick up your favorite drink, come back ready to tackle the rest on your list!
I hope you enjoyed this post, I had a blast writing it up and thinking about what helps me. I hope some of these things help you stayed focused. Let me know in the comments below what you do to stay focused; I’m always looking for things to inspire me and help me get the job done.